At Whalewatch Ocean Beach Resort we offer all our Guests the warmest of welcomes and endeavour to make your beach holiday as relaxing and pleasurable as possible. Our spacious Accommodation is complimented by superb amenities for your enjoyment while you vacation with us on the spectacular Point Lookout, North Stradbroke Island.
Located at North Stradbroke Island's Point Lookout, Whale Watch Ocean Beach Resort provides endless views along the main surfing beach, over the Pacific Ocean and to the Gold Coast and beyond.
Relax on your balcony of our luxury Queensland Island Resort and watch the whales frolic and breach on their annual trek north. Or watch the Whales pass with their playful calves on their return south. Dolphins, turtles and manta rays also frequent the waters off Point Lookout.
There is so much to do and see on NSI. Marine life abounds on the Gorge Walk – dolphins , Manta Rays, turtles. There are two fresh water lakes that take your breath away. Breath in the fresh sea air, walk along the many stretches of pristine beaches and enjoy the wildlife from Kangaroos, koala’s, kookaburras, eagles and a huge array of native birds. The pressures of life just slips away on Straddie.
How To Get To North Stradbroke Island
Driving - FROM THE GOLD COAST
Travel north along the Pacific Highway and take the Cleveland Exit No. 30 onto Cleveland/Beenleigh-Redland Bay Road and follow the signs to Cleveland.
Driving - FROM SUNSHINE COAST OR BRISBANE AIRPORT
Head south along the Gateway Motorway, over the Gateway Toll Bridge.
Turn left into Old Cleveland Road (approximately 5 kms) from the Toll Bridge and follow the signs to Cleveland.
Contact Stradbroke Ferry's Main office on 07 3488 5300 to book your ferry transfers.
Trains and buses
Catch the train to Cleveland station and link up with a connecting bus to the ferries at Toondah Harbour, Cleveland (translink.com.au).
When you arrive at Dunwich on North Stradbroke Island, the passenger ferries link with buses to Amity Point and Point Lookout – except for the last ferry at night.
Two companies Stradbroke Ferries and the Gold Cats Stradbroke Flyer run hourly between 4.55am and 7.25pm with a break from 1.55pm to 3.25pm.
Each has a separate terminal at Toondah Harbour, Cleveland and Stradbroke Ferries dock at Dunwich main terminal and the Flyer at One Mile Jetty, Dunwich.
They run at the same times but make sure you’re at the right place for your ticket!
Stradbroke Island Buses operate between Stradbroke Ferries at Dunwich and Gold Cats Stradbroke Flyer at the One Mile Jetty for 20 minute transfers to and from Point Lookout and Amity Point.
You can pre book club courtesy buses if you plan to eat and drink at clubs.
There is a metered maxi-taxi cab service 0408 193 685 that can take up to ten passengers.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Q: Is your pool heated?
- Yes our pool is heated to 27 degrees in winter
- Q: What facilities do you have?
- Heated pool with spa
- BBQ area
- Small gym
- Games room
- Undercover basement secure car parking
- Lift access to Oceanfront Premium Apartments
- Small Conference facilities
- Q: How do I get to Whalewatch Ocean Beach Resort?
- By vehicular ferry if you are bringing a car from Cleveland
- There is also a water taxi & bus if you don't have a car
- Contact Stradbroke Ferries 07 3488 5300 for assistance with ferry transfers
- Q: What is there to do on Stradbroke island?
- Swimming at patrolled surf beaches
- Walks along many beautiful eco walkways & beaches
- Abundant marine life, including Whale Watching June - November
- Kangaroos, Koalas, Kookaburras, Eagles abound on NSI
- North and South Gorge walks
- see Blue Lake
- see Brown Lake
- Two other local communities with great attractions
- Cafes, historic museum, aboriginal Artwork Gallery, home ware stores, dress shops
- Adventure tours, kayaking, Fishing expeditions
- Q: Do you do after hours checkins?
- Yes - Please contact us to arrange this prior to your arrival - ph: 07 3409 8555
- Q: How many bedrooms does an apartment have?
- All apartments at Whale Watch Resort are 3 Bedroom/2 Bathroom Apartments. Dependant on your booking – if you book a 1 bedroom apartment , you will have 1 bedroom & 1 bathroom, a 2 Bedroom Apartment you will have 2 bedrooms & 2 bathrooms. A 3 Bedroom bookings you will have 3 Bedrooms and 2 Bathrooms. All 1,2 & 3 Bedroom Apartment bookings have a full laundry, full kitchen and a lounge dining area.
- Q: Can I get a late checkout?
- This is a possibility, but is dependent upon the situation with the next arrival for your apartment. Please see reception the day prior to your departure.
- Q: When do I have to pay a deposit and final payment?
- At the time of booking and the balance upon arrival at the property (except peak periods where full payment may be required prior to arrival) . Please see our terms and conditions for full details.
- Q: Is there car parking at the property if I take the car ferry?
- Yes, secure basement car parking is available for 1 car per apartment.
- Q: Do you have internet facilities?
- Yes - but you will require your own laptop. WiFi only available in Reception area at this stage. Please bring your own Toggle if you require WiFi in your room.
- Q: : How often are the apartments serviced?
- Apartments are self catering - mid-clean may be available for bookings in excess of 9 nights. Please contact us to enquire further.
- Q: Where can I buy groceries locally?
- There is a Food Works store, Fresh Fruit Barn, Sea Food Shack all at Point Lookout within walking distance
- Q: Is all linen provided?
- Yes all linen is provided except beach towels.
- Q: Do we accept School Leavers?
- Unfortunately we do not have the policies, procedures or resources to accommodate the unique needs of school leavers during the annual “Schoolies Festival”. In particular we do not have adequate resources to engage qualified security personnel to guarantee the safety, comfort and convenience of our guests during this period. For this reason we reserve the right to reject bookings from school and/or university leavers for the period mid November mid December.