CASTAWAY is one of the most charming river cottages. What makes this place especially unique is the proximity to the waters edge, the original external facades, the spectacular views and the charming verandah with hammock - a perfect spot to relax & take in the surrounds. The private jetty has a pontoon & a ladder for easy acces when swimming on the high tide.
The lounge & main bedroom both open onto the enclosed verandah, while a second bedroom with additional king bed is reached from the lounge. The ridge behind CASTAWAY is part of Mugomarra Nature Reserve & although there are no marked tracks it is a spectacular walk with views over the river, suited to the moderately fit , wearing comfortable walking shoes.
WHAT IS THERE
• 2 king beds , iron & hairdryer
ground coffee & tea, sugar , coffee plunger
• sea salt & pepper grinder; olive oil & balsamic vinegar
• glad wrap, foil, paper towel, serviettes, fabric napkins, tea light candles etc
• well equipped kitchen w electric stove, oven, microwave & large fridge/freezer, gas BBQ
• fans, heaters, outdoor brazier ( fire ), outdoor gas heater
• TV, DVD, Video & CD player ( no TV reception)
• record player & records collection
• 2 sit on top kayaks, 2 life jackets, 2 fishing rods
• private jetty & pontoon
WHAT TO DO
• simply relax , hang in the hammock, fish, read
• explore Mugomarra Nature Reserve shoreline by kayak
• bush walking ( there are no marked trails & moderate fitness, shoes with tread & long sleved garments are recommended )
• take a boat trip to lunch ...see below
• prebook a self drive hire boat, no license required ( a slow scenic journey) & explore the nearby river beaches, Bar Island & Spencer.
• swim from the jetty at high tide
WHAT TO BRING
• favourite CDs, DVDs, reading material
• hooks, bait, sinkers for fishing
• toiletries, personal belongings including swimming costume
• personal repellant , sunscreen, sunhat, sunglasses
• food & beverage, there are no shops
Just a reminder that ‘CASTAWAY’ is boat access only. There are absolutely no roads to the property, which does make getting there part of the adventure!
From SYDNEY travel north along the Pacific Highway # 1 & F3 FREEWAY, crossing the Hawkesbury River & immediately take the Brooklyn exit. Come back over the river a second time, on the PACIFIC HIGHWAY #83 & turn directly left in to KANGAROO POINT for your scheduled transfer ...or second left onto Brooklyn Rd if hiring a self drive runabout.... Allow an hour by car from Sydney, and in peak periods add 30 minutes....& always plan to 30 mins early..the boat waits for no one!
Scheduled Boat Transfers
transfers be secured at time of booking your stay
$65.00pp each way
limited spaces per trip, so contact us direct to discuss & book in your seats...scheduled transfers need to be booked & paid for at time of booking accomodation
Parking at your pick up point – Kangaroo Point is non restricted public parking
A self drive runabout ( no licence required ) from Brooklyn Central , is approx. $250 for a 2 night stay, inc. a 25litre tank of fuel & also depending on pick up / drop off times...discounts apply for extended stays…. call Bob on 0414 969 844….Latest pick up/ drop off is 5pm ( & 4pm in non daylight saving period )..there is secure parking provided . NOTE at time of booking your stay with us, please inform us you will be travelling by self drive runabout
Own Boat up to 20' suitable. ..only by prior arrangement . We recommend the Mooney Mooney Public Ramp which is an excellent ramp or a smaller private ramp at Dolphin Marina, 1 Brooklyn Rd for launching trailer boats. A small fee applies. Call on 02 9985 7307. Some guests enjoy the longer & very scenic boat journey from Apple Tree Bay or Akuna Bay. NOTE that when tide is a 0.5m or lower ( this occurs a few times a month ), access to the pontoon may be limited approx. one hour either side of that particular low; ...so please check a tide chart & / or call us to discuss
RESTAURANTS & CAFES
Peats Bite weekends only, advance bookings essential, 02 9985 9040 - closed July/Aug. A great place for a long relaxed lunch, in one of the most beautiful & unique locations on the river. $130.00pp ( licensed ) You will need to advance book in your boat transfers with the restaurant at the time of booking your table. You can also travel there by own boat
Spencer Village Store & Cafe serving legendary breakfasts, brunch & light lunch. Truly the 'Hub of the Universe'. Also supplying a good range of meat, some vegetables & just about everything else you may need. Licensed Bottle Shop as well. Kitchen closes around 2.30pm Phone 4377 1123. About 10km upriver by boat.
Cottage Point is perfect when staying mid week, book on 9456 1008. A stunning setting & excellent á la carte menu, Travel by own boat is fine, but too far by hire boat. POA with water taxi
Before you arrive, the house is opened, ready for you to simply kick back & relax
Children not suited
Pets not suited